A Look at Some Immigration Regulations

Thứ Tư, 10 Tháng Sáu 201506:13(Xem: 16513)
A Look at Some Immigration Regulations


(1) New Rule Allows F-2 Dependents to Study Part Time     


The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has announced a rule that will now make it possible for dependents of F-1 students to study in the United States on a limited basis.   Effective May 29, 2015, F-2 spouses and children will be permitted to pursue less than full-time studies at any school certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). 


According to the new rule, the F1’s spouse can pursue academic and vocational studies on a less-than-full-time schedule.  Their children will still be able to attend school full-time from elementary through secondary school.  After secondary school, the children can take courses in higher-level academic studies on a less-than- full-time basis.


“Less-than- full-time basis” means a course load of fewer than 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate colleges, universities, and community colleges. There is no limitation on the eligibility for credit, degrees, certificates, or other credentials. However, F-2 students will not be eligible for other student-related benefits such as curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT).


The F2 part time students must attend SEVP Approved Schools.  This is intended to make it more likely that the educational program is bona fide and to reduce national security concerns.



(2) When a Permanent Resident files a petition to sponsor his wife and unmarried daughter under 21 years of age, if the daughter has a child, can the child also come to the US?


If the sponsor filed only one petition, then the daughter gets her eligibility from the mother, but the daughter cannot pass on her eligibility to her own child.


The solution is for the sponsor to file a separate petition for his daughter.  Then the daughter’s child would be eligible for a visa.


The same is true for a permanent resident’s unmarried daughter over 20 years of age.  If she has a separate petition, then her child can accompany her.


A daughter over 20, being sponsored by a US citizen, is in the F-1 category.    If she has a child, there is a visa category for the child, F-1-2, so the child can come to the US with the mother.


A US citizen’s daughter under 21, unmarried but with a child, must wait.  There is no visa category for the child.  When she reaches 21 years of age, then she becomes an F-1-1, adult child of a US citizen.  In that category, her child can be included in the visa processing.



Q.1.   If dependents of an F1 student want to study full time, what must they do?

 A.1. Each foreign student who is studying full time must have a separate F-1 student visa.     


Q.2.  Can a foreign student’s dependent eventually get a college degree by studying part time?

 A.2.  It will take a long time, but it is permitted.   If they just study less than 12 credit hours per semester, they can eventually get a degree or certificate or other academic credentials.



Q3.  Should a permanent resident file separate petitions for his wife and each child?

 A.3. Yes, because that will make it easier for his daughters to qualify under a different category if they have a child.  Also, if the permanent resident becomes a US citizen, there must be a separate petition for each person he is sponsoring.


ROBERT  MULLINS  INTERNATIONAL  www.rmiodp.com   www.facebook.com/rmiodp

Immigration Support Services - Tham Van Di Tru      

9070 Bolsa Ave.,  Westminster CA  92683                 (714) 890-9933

779 Story Road, Ste. 70, San Jose, CA 95122           (408) 294-3888

6930 65th St. Ste. #105, Sacramento CA 95823         (916) 393-3388

Rang Mi - 47 Phung Khac Khoan, Q1, HCMC            (848) 3914-7638

Thứ Ba, 04 Tháng Mười 2016(Xem: 22227)
A permanent resident who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence. There is a returning resident special immigrant visa called the SB-1.
Thứ Ba, 14 Tháng Sáu 2016(Xem: 21304)
The State Department has told all consulates that they could return petitions to CIS in the US only if they had good reason to do so. This means that the consular officer must have some information that was not available when CIS approved the petition.
Chủ Nhật, 29 Tháng Năm 2016(Xem: 24424)
In the United States, if we look at Mr. Obama’s Presidential Job Approval Ratings, we see that in May this year, only 51% of Americans were satisfied with his work. His approval ratings from January 2009 till now have an average rating of only 47%.
Thứ Tư, 27 Tháng Tư 2016(Xem: 23681)
In October 2009, the President signed a new law that allows eligible widows or widowers of U.S. citizens to qualify for permanent resident status regardless of how long the couple was married. Repeat,regardless of how long the couple was married.
Thứ Năm, 21 Tháng Tư 2016(Xem: 23263)
President Obama is facing the very real possibility of a deadlock at the Supreme Court.
Thứ Tư, 06 Tháng Tư 2016(Xem: 22837)
On a recent show, we talked about residence requirements for Naturalization purposes.
Thứ Tư, 30 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 25452)
Every year, we bring you an update of visa activities at the US Consulate General in Saigon.
Thứ Tư, 23 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 22243)
During the first week of April, over 100,000 hopeful job seekers will send their H1-B applications to USCIS. CIS will return the forms and fees to more than 40,000 of these applicants.
Thứ Năm, 17 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 19059)
There are a number of requirements you have to meet in order to qualify for U.S. citizenship. Among the most complicated of these are the residency requirements, which look at how long you've been living in the U.S. and your immigration status during that time.
Thứ Tư, 09 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 19323)
On February 25, 2016, US CIS provided new guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual on the general policies and procedures for adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence.