Improvements in the Certificate of Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Thứ Tư, 12 Tháng Giêng 201100:00(Xem: 71309)
Improvements in the Certificate of Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
The Department of State has announced the introduction of a re-designed Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The CRBA is an official record confirming that a child born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent has acquired U.S. citizenship at birth. The re-designed document has state-of-the-art security features that make it extremely resistant to alterations or forgery.
Beginning January 18, 2011, overseas posts will still document the citizenship of children born overseas to U.S.-citizen parents, but the CRBAs will be printed at our passport agencies in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and New Orleans, Louisiana
The CRBA is issued by the American Citizen Services section of the Consulate and it is accepted by all U.S. government agencies as proof of a child's American citizenship. The CRBA can be used in the U.S. in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a city or county registrar's office.
A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for a period of five years, two of those years after the age of fourteen.
The Consulate may ask for supporting evidence of the relationship between the mother and the father (for example, wedding photos, letters), and supporting evidence of the child's birth, such as pre-natal records, sonograms, photos of the mother while pregnant. They may also ask for evidence of both parents' physical presence in Vietnam at the time of the child's conception.
A child born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship if there is clear and convincing evidence of a blood relationship between the child and the father, if the father was a US citizen at the time of the child's birth and if the father has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the child until the child reaches the age of 18 years. The father must also take steps to legitimate the child born out-of-wedlock.
Finally, a U.S. citizen parent who has a child using a foreign surrogate mother may apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of an American Citizen (CRBA) and a U.S. passport for the child at the U.S. Consulate. The U.S. citizen parent must be the sperm donor or the egg donor in order to transmit U.S. citizenship to a child who is conceived through ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology).
Q.1. What kind of proof can the US citizen parent provide to show that he was physically present in the US for five years?
A.1. He can submit academic records, school transcripts, tax records, Social Security statement and employment records.
Q.2. What is the best evidence available to parents to show the biological connection to a child born to a foreign surrogate mother?
A.2. The best evidence to show a biological relationship between the child and a US citizen parent is DNA testing. This must be authorized by the Consulate and done by an approved parentage testing facility.
Thứ Ba, 04 Tháng Mười 2016(Xem: 21986)
A permanent resident who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence. There is a returning resident special immigrant visa called the SB-1.
Thứ Ba, 14 Tháng Sáu 2016(Xem: 21110)
The State Department has told all consulates that they could return petitions to CIS in the US only if they had good reason to do so. This means that the consular officer must have some information that was not available when CIS approved the petition.
Chủ Nhật, 29 Tháng Năm 2016(Xem: 24210)
In the United States, if we look at Mr. Obama’s Presidential Job Approval Ratings, we see that in May this year, only 51% of Americans were satisfied with his work. His approval ratings from January 2009 till now have an average rating of only 47%.
Thứ Tư, 27 Tháng Tư 2016(Xem: 23535)
In October 2009, the President signed a new law that allows eligible widows or widowers of U.S. citizens to qualify for permanent resident status regardless of how long the couple was married. Repeat,regardless of how long the couple was married.
Thứ Năm, 21 Tháng Tư 2016(Xem: 23078)
President Obama is facing the very real possibility of a deadlock at the Supreme Court.
Thứ Tư, 06 Tháng Tư 2016(Xem: 22686)
On a recent show, we talked about residence requirements for Naturalization purposes.
Thứ Tư, 30 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 25242)
Every year, we bring you an update of visa activities at the US Consulate General in Saigon.
Thứ Tư, 23 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 22095)
During the first week of April, over 100,000 hopeful job seekers will send their H1-B applications to USCIS. CIS will return the forms and fees to more than 40,000 of these applicants.
Thứ Năm, 17 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 18862)
There are a number of requirements you have to meet in order to qualify for U.S. citizenship. Among the most complicated of these are the residency requirements, which look at how long you've been living in the U.S. and your immigration status during that time.
Thứ Tư, 09 Tháng Ba 2016(Xem: 19059)
On February 25, 2016, US CIS provided new guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual on the general policies and procedures for adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence.