Some Consulate News Items

Thứ Tư, 04 Tháng Giêng 201200:00(Xem: 38238)
Some Consulate News Items
Our first item on today’s show is about a new kind of Canadian visa. The Canadian government now offers a “Super Visa” for qualified parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
U.S. immigration law does not contain any special visa for foreign "Seniors" hoping to spend an extended period of time with their American children and grandchildren. Grandparents of US citizens may apply for multiple-entry B-2 tourist visas at a U.S. consular post and, if the visa is issued, they may ask to be admitted to America for a period of up to six months. Those who want to stay longer must apply for an extension of stay, or depart and re-enter the country, often at great expense and trouble for elderly visitors.
In Canada, the visa situation for grandparents was almost the same, until December 1st, 2011. At that time, the Canadian government introduced an intelligent and compassionate new visa option which will allow parents and grandparents to visit with their Canadian families for up to two years.
It is called the "Super Visa" and it is available to the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The Super Visa is issued for multiple-entries, and it means less expense and greater certainty for parents and grandparents.
In order to ensure that admitting elderly visitors for extended periods of time will not become a burden to Canadian taxpayers, the Super Visa requires the applicant to provide the following evidence of financial and medical support:
1. A written commitment of financial support from a child or grandchild in Canada who meets a minimum income threshold;
2. Proof that they have acquired Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year;
3. Completion of an immigration medical exam.
More information on the Super Visa can be found at
The Super Visa is a small step taken by the Canadian government which will contribute hugely to the humaneness of the national visa system.
On the American side of the border, the US State Department has issued instructions to consular officers about the techniques they should use for immigrant visa interviews. Officers have been told:
· Make every effort to conduct visa interviews professionally.
· Avoid any aggressive cross-examination.
· Applicants should be given sufficient time to answer questions without interruption.
· Officers must make a thorough and carefully written record of the interview so that the basis for the final action can be fully documented.
· Visa interviews require the consular officer's composure, judgment and diplomatic skills.
If officers follow all of these instructions from Washington, will visa applicants in Vietnam be any more relaxed and calm? We certainly hope so, but we suspect that overworked consular officers may sometimes forget the reminders that Washington has issued. And certainly, in cases that are clearly fraudulent, it is understandable if officers “aggressively question visa applicants and interrupt their answers”, if that's what it takes to get at the truth.
Q.1. Is there any chance that Super Visas will be available for parents or grandparents of US citizens and permanent residents?
A.1. There is nothing in any of the proposed immigration reform about Super Visas like the Canadian government has introduced. Because of the fact that there are 12 million illegal immigrants already in the US, it is not likely that there will be any American Super Visas in the near or distant future.
Q.2. Can immigrant visa applicants submit an appeal or complaint if a consular officer does not follow the State Department’s new guidance about conducting interviews?
A.2. Visa applicants and sponsors are always free to submit complaints or appeals, but since the visa interviews are not video recorded, there is not much chance that an appeal would be helpful.
Immigration Support Services-Tham Van Di Tru

9070 Bolsa Avenue, Westminster CA 92683 (714) 890-9933 
779 Story Road, Ste. 70, San Jose, CA 95122 (408) 294-3888 
6930 65th St. Ste. #105, Sacramento CA 95823 (916) 393-3388 
42 Dang Thi Nhu, P. Nguyen Thai Binh, Q1, HCM (848) 3914-7638
Thứ Tư, 28 Tháng Giêng 2015(Xem: 7757)
The U.S. Department of State, National Visa Center (NVC) plays a key role in applications for immigrant visas that are processed by the US Consulate in Saigon.
Thứ Năm, 22 Tháng Giêng 2015(Xem: 4302)
EB-5 requirements for an investor in a Regional Center are essentially the same as in the basic EB-5 investor program.
Thứ Tư, 14 Tháng Giêng 2015(Xem: 4103)
The EB-5 program gives visas to foreigners who are willing to invest at least $500,000 in approved projects.
Thứ Tư, 07 Tháng Giêng 2015(Xem: 7476)
According to the latest statistics from the US Department of State, 4.3 million immigrant visa applicants worldwide are waiting for their cases to be eligible for visa interviews.
Thứ Hai, 29 Tháng Mười Hai 2014(Xem: 4278)
According to the latest report from the Congressional Research Service, Vietnam is Number 4 in the list of top countries with immigrants waiting for admission to the US in the Family based quota categories.
Thứ Ba, 23 Tháng Mười Hai 2014(Xem: 4054)
If you are in the U.S., married to a Permanent Resident, and your visa petition is current, can you apply for a Green Card while in the U.S. ?
Thứ Sáu, 19 Tháng Mười Hai 2014(Xem: 6789)
A CIS interview is most difficult for a person who has come to the US on a visitor or student visa, and then meets and marries a US citizen within a few months of arriving in the States.
Thứ Năm, 11 Tháng Mười Hai 2014(Xem: 3913)
An alien spouse who was admitted to the United States in a non-immigrant category, and who is not out of status, may apply for a Green Card if he or she is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and one is immediately available.
Thứ Ba, 02 Tháng Mười Hai 2014(Xem: 3777)
In general, the Executive Actions apply only to people who are in the US now and who are out of status.
Thứ Tư, 19 Tháng Mười Một 2014(Xem: 3992)
Until you receive approval from USCIS, do not assume the status has been approved, and do not change your activity in the United States.